Sri Lanka (Full-time live-in)
We are looking for an Executive Director to ensure a safe and healthy living and working environment for resident students. This role is a challenging position and requires a fine balance between enforcing discipline and supporting and bonding with the children. This position reports directly to the local Grace Board and the US Grace Board.
To apply, email email@example.com with your application materials e.g. cover letter, resume or CV, and references*
*All applicants must provide 3 references that are not family members.
*Background check required.
Who you are
A person who has:
- A degree in Child Psychology or similar field preferred. Experience in the field of education could be a substitute.
- Ability to read and write fluently in Tamil, English and preferably Singhalese.
- Very good communication and writing skills in order to capture data, collect feedback, and report back to the board.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work with a team.
- A proven track record of empowering women. You believe in women’s empowerment and you’re committed to exposing the girls to the myriad of possibilities for self-actualization.
- A proven ability to prioritize safety and security.
- Operational excellence in establishing a strong culture among staff.
- The ability to craft programs that would provide individual attention to each child.
- The openness and willingness to learn new skills.
- The ability to be proactive, take personal responsibility and be willing to go beyond the call of duty.
- The ability to be able to respect confidentiality. Be empathetic and patient.
- Approachability and availability to all children and staff.
- A commitment to the overall vision of Grace Girls Home.
What you'll do
The key functions of a Director fall into 6 major categories which include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a supervisor and community-builder for all children and staff on the campus. You will be responsible for the health, hygiene and general welfare of the students residing at Grace Girls’ Home, and shall attend to all matters of health, sickness, diet, sanitation and cleanliness.
- You’ll provide a motherly presence that creates a nurturing relationship. This relationship allows for exploration of each girl's interests and talents.
- Implement an operations program that fosters a safe, friendly and disciplined atmosphere for the staff and children of Grace Girls’ Home.
- You’ll work with individual staff members to help them be successful in their roles and responsibilities and will report back to the local and US board on a regular cadence for any issues, needs, and concerns.
- You’ll track the schedule and progress of all staff and children and will be responsible for the oversight of all in-campus operations including, safety, security, maintenance, kitchen, sanitation, education, staffing and travel.
- You’ll communicate with the school principal and tutors to oversee each girl’s educational progress. You’ll also communicate with the probation department regarding regulatory compliance, opportunities to further the welfare of the girls, and to facilitate new girls arriving at Grace. Also with biological families as needed to determine visits on or off the Grace property.
- You’ll maintain an open and nurturing relationship with each girl at Grace. There should be frequent conversation so each girl feels comfortable communicating needs and wants to the Director.
- Maintenance of Facility
- Maintain the property in a way that ensures safety for all. Communicate physical plant needs to the appropriate board.
- Ensure a safe and healthy living and working environment for resident students. Take appropriate action on all cases of misbehavior, emotional distress and sickness of the residents. Report to the local Board or the US board in cases requiring additional follow up. Oversee staff to ensure they are fulfilling their duties in a conscientious and appropriate manner.
- Promote Culture
- Promote a safe and homey environment of good order and social harmony in the residence. Address conflict in a fair and unbiased manner. Ensure that problems are resolved without physical contact. Violence will not be tolerated from anyone on the Grace property regardless of the situation. Honor the code of Grace Girls’ Home. Enforce and abide by the home’s ethics, policies and regulations.
- Keep good communication with the school to understand the needs of each girl. Monitor each student's progress and adjust tutoring and support accordingly. Put in effort to identify individual interests and talents that may help the girls develop aspirations regarding their futures.
- This is a full time/ live-in position with specific hours to be negotiated. Must be available when off duty for unexpected events/emergencies.
- Salary to be negotiated upon hire based on the candidate’s experience and skills.
- Time off to be determined according to Sri Lankan Labor Laws. Up for negotiation based on the requirements of the candidate.
- Free room and board or housing allowance.
- Relocation expenses to be covered.
Posted: March 24, 2023